Thursday, May 30, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick



Before I start this review, let me start by saying that I saw the movie before I read the book. I know I know, a major taboo in the literary world. I had honestly never heard of the book, but the movie starred none other than my soon-to-be husband, Bradley Cooper (he just doesn't know it yet). I had a vague understanding of the premise, but went into the film with very little expectations. Never in a million years did I expect to be so affected by a film. I immediately went out and purchased the book afterward.

For those who are unaware of the story, Pat is a man who found his wife cheating on him one day and made serious work of the man she was cheating with. In a plea deal with the court, Pat agrees to spend time in a mental institution to avoid jail time. While there, he is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and learns that this is something he has be unknowingly struggling with his entire life. After four years, he is released into the care of his parents and moves back in with them until he is able to gain his footing in the world. He is determined to be a better man for the wife that cheated on him. Along his journey toward self-realization, he meets Tiffany who is an equally unstable mind. Their friendship throughout is one of acceptance and hope. I've never seen the issue of mental illness portrayed so accurately. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Like the film, the book excellently portrays the issue of mental illness - in all forms - but moreover does it convey the thought process of someone suffering from such illness. To those who may not truly understand bipolar disorder or it's characteristics, this book will both feel and sound childish. Thought processes and sentences are often incomplete or off topic. At times the reader may feel a sense of disconnect toward the character of Pat who, at 30-something years old, often changes moods as quickly as a child. This is exactly what bipolar disorder is and even without the film this book conveys its struggles effortlessly. The film is one of the best adaptations I've seen of a novel so if you enjoyed the film it then you will definitely the book. Bradley Cooper unfortunately, only comes with the film version.

No comments:

Post a Comment